How to Make a Whistle From a Straw eHow
In this two-part science tutorial, learn how to make a DIY reed instrument! By cutting the end of a drinking straw you can make a musical reed instrument that you can actually play a tune on. Within these videos, you will also gain some insite into the science of sound and music.... Both can make an almighty racket in the right hands (or mouth). The straw's flattened triangular tip acts like an oboe's reed and blowing air across it causes the straw to vibrate. This creates a standing wave in the air along the length of the straw which we hear as sound.
Water Whistle SICK Science - Steve Spangler Science
Make two cuts in the now flattened end of the straw, to form a triangular tip. Insert the triangular tip of the straw into your mouth and blow hard. You should hear a loud 'buzzing' sound.... VERY CAREFULLY cut the bottom off your plastic container, about level with the bottom of the label. Put the bottle, cut side down, into the bowl of water and put your ear up against the hole at the other end.
[Experiment1]Comparing the Sound of Tone Holes cut
Now place the cut end of the straw in your mouth. Push down with your lips to help sqeeze the straw and blow hard. Cover and uncover the holes to play different notes. Push down with your lips to help sqeeze the straw and blow hard.... Now that your instrument is complete, simply blow into the straw on the side of the bottle, and your Water-Bottle Membranophone should play! To make different sounds, you can add finger holes. To do this, pinch the paper tube slightly and cut out a diamond shape.
How to Make a Musical Instrument Out of a Straw eHow
Cut an upside down "V" into the flattened end of the straw. Place the straw into your mouth so that the pointed end of the V is securely inside your lips. Blow into the pointed end of the straw gently so that it vibrates and makes a sound like a kazoo.... holding the straw shut with a clip, lightly sanding it, sligh tly heating it with a lighter, or using an iron to heat the straw while you press it c losed. As to how the thing should be blown, it is impossible to make an y sound
How To Cut A Straw To Make Sound
Musical Straw Science Experiments Steve Spangler Science
- Straw-bale Sound Isolation and Acoustics TLS #53 - The
- Horn From a Drinking Straw 3 Steps (with Pictures)
- Build a Disk Siren Scientific American
- 3 Ways to Make Pan Pipes wikiHow
How To Cut A Straw To Make Sound
Discuss that the squawkers make sound by producing vibrations. Moving air causes the Moving air causes the pointed ends of the straw to move rapidly back and forth — that is, to vibrate.
- Both can make an almighty racket in the right hands (or mouth). The straw's flattened triangular tip acts like an oboe's reed and blowing air across it causes the straw to vibrate. This creates a standing wave in the air along the length of the straw which we hear as sound.
- Cut the straws so each one is about half an inch shorter than the next; fold a piece of tape over the bottom of each straw to block the whole. 2. Place a long piece of tape sticky-side up on a table, and line up the straws on it in height order with the open ends aligned.
- Using your scissors, about 1 / 3 of the way down the straw, partially cut through the straw. The cut should be ALMOST all the way through the straw but leave a small piece uncut to keep the two straw sections attached.
- A straw flute makes a sound when you blow over the holes. Longer straws create a different pitch sound to shorter straws because the time taken for the vibrations to travel up and down the straw …
You can find us here:
- Australian Capital Territory: Rokeby ACT, Queanbeyan East ACT, Palmerston ACT, Gungahlin ACT, Chapman ACT, ACT Australia 2647
- New South Wales: Northangera NSW, Seaham NSW, Central Macdonald NSW, Blue Vale NSW, Delungra NSW, NSW Australia 2081
- Northern Territory: Palumpa NT, Minjilang NT, East Arnhem NT, Bellamack NT, Elliott NT, Wanguri NT, NT Australia 0865
- Queensland: Taromeo QLD, Moura QLD, Townsville City QLD, Karara QLD, QLD Australia 4045
- South Australia: Wanbi SA, Cummins SA, Colonel Light Gardens SA, Karte SA, Nundroo SA, Mount Schank SA, SA Australia 5036
- Tasmania: Midway Point TAS, Howth TAS, Fentonbury TAS, TAS Australia 7043
- Victoria: Rushworth VIC, Berrigan VIC, Bendigo VIC, Talbot VIC, Bangholme VIC, VIC Australia 3008
- Western Australia: Tenterden WA, Duranillin WA, Linden WA, WA Australia 6097
- British Columbia: Lake Cowichan BC, Penticton BC, Greenwood BC, Lumby BC, North Vancouver BC, BC Canada, V8W 5W3
- Yukon: Clear Creek YT, Montague YT, Stony Creek Camp YT, Upper Liard YT, Summit Roadhouse YT, YT Canada, Y1A 4C7
- Alberta: Canmore AB, Innisfail AB, Empress AB, Okotoks AB, Mundare AB, Nampa AB, AB Canada, T5K 3J1
- Northwest Territories: Wrigley NT, Ulukhaktok NT, Norman Wells NT, Norman Wells NT, NT Canada, X1A 2L9
- Saskatchewan: Goodeve SK, Shamrock SK, Midale SK, Choiceland SK, Kendal SK, Wawota SK, SK Canada, S4P 4C8
- Manitoba: Grandview MB, Deloraine MB, Rivers MB, MB Canada, R3B 2P2
- Quebec: Saint-Raymond QC, Desbiens QC, Forestville QC, Amqui QC, Lac-Saguay QC, QC Canada, H2Y 6W8
- New Brunswick: Kedgwick NB, Alma NB, Neguac NB, NB Canada, E3B 6H8
- Nova Scotia: Annapolis Royal NS, East Hants NS, Annapolis Royal NS, NS Canada, B3J 9S4
- Prince Edward Island: Miltonvale Park PE, Murray Harbour PE, Pleasant Grove PE, PE Canada, C1A 1N6
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Riverhead NL, Grand Bank NL, Spaniard's Bay NL, St. Mary's NL, NL Canada, A1B 1J2
- Ontario: Bayfield ON, Horning's Mills ON, Havelock ON, Sunfish Lake, Cedar Grove ON, Crosby ON, Nipissing ON, ON Canada, M7A 4L3
- Nunavut: Cape Dorset NU, Naujaat NU, NU Canada, X0A 9H9
- England: Ashford ENG, Cambridge (/ Milton) ENG, Bamber Bridge ENG, Paignton ENG, Stoke-on-Trent ENG, ENG United Kingdom W1U 9A5
- Northern Ireland: Craigavon (incl. Lurgan, Portadown) NIR, Bangor NIR, Bangor NIR, Craigavon (incl. Lurgan, Portadown) NIR, Newtownabbey NIR, NIR United Kingdom BT2 6H5
- Scotland: Edinburgh SCO, Paisley SCO, Dundee SCO, Hamilton SCO, Cumbernauld SCO, SCO United Kingdom EH10 2B5
- Wales: Wrexham WAL, Newport WAL, Newport WAL, Barry WAL, Swansea WAL, WAL United Kingdom CF24 7D5